Thursday, March 3, 2016

Gods of Egypt.








I saw Gods of Egypt over the weekend. I am fairly knowledgeable about Egypt Mythology and I went with a friend of mine, Michalea Moore (read her review here), who is a HUGE Egypt buff. We were prepared as we sat with our popcorn and cookie dough bites to rip this movie apart, but what happened was we came out laughing.

I thoroughly enjoyed Gods of Egypt. It laughs at itself, it visually pleasing and has the best "last line" I've ever heard. From the shining forms of the battling gods to the skeptic quipping of the human hero, this movie has me smiling the whole way through. It has some brief, touching moments, and like all good movies eludes to deeper themes. But what really made it great was the levity. The grandiose vision of the film translated into every single aspect, the sweeping wide shots, the CGI creatures, the snarkiness of the dialogue and the bathykolpian woman. This a movie you go see to have a great time, and have a lot of laughs. Even if the soundtrack is from the wrong area of the world.

9/10 for a raucous good time.





No comments:

Post a Comment