Thursday, February 11, 2016

Romance in Horror

Seeing as it's Women In Horror Month, I thought I'd take a moment to visit the idea of terrifying love.  Love and romance, like any other beautiful thing, can turn dark and frightening in the span of a breath. And this type of love turned obsession is a common theme in horror movies through the years. You'd think we'd be tired of it by now, but we aren't. Why? Because it is a very real fear. Movies like Straw Dogs  and My Bloody Valentine all the way through to Dracula play on this fear. Each in their own ways, of course.

I exploit it a bit in When The Gods Walked Out and many other authors have explored the idea the love as terror. One of the most famous being Misery by Stephen King. You might say that these are not example of love, but obsession, and to that I say, what is love if it is not obsession?


No comments:

Post a Comment